This 1950’s era Engineering Building is to be gutted, expanded, and transformed into a state-of-the-art research and teaching facility. The design solution balances the technical needs of each department and the more open, team-learning educational environment prevalent today.
Large open labs with shared facilities, traditional closed labs, modular floor plans for flexibility, ‘inbetween’ meeting spaces, cafes, conversation nooks, and infrastructure systems organized to be easily expanded or isolated to fit changing needs are all important features of the new building. The modular floor plan affords adaptability for changing laboratory function.
As a focal point of the campus entryway the building presents a strong image, strengthening the exisiting campus context and tieing into the contemporary interpretation of NMSU’s ‘California Mission’ style. The design also recalls the VHGA designed O’Donnell Hall and Skeen Hall.
Sustainability features: low-e double glazing, high performance windows, daylight harvesting, room sensors, shading devices, and light shelves to bounce light into the interiors.